About St Martin's Church, Westmeston


The nave has been here since Norman times, and has been much added to over the centuries. The walls of the nave are original Norman and so is the doorway on the north wall.

  • The chancel was added in the 13th century. The north and west walls and the arch were rebuilt in the 19th century.
  • The arches and the aisle on the south are early 14th century work, and the wall here leans outwards.
  • The chapel was built in the 15th century; it is now a vestry and houses the organ.
  • The porch is rather fine; the brick base is 450 years old but parts of the timbering are nearly 600 years old.
  • The small bell turret is 14th century repair work and contains three bells, two were cast in 1636, the third in 1712; they have since been recast.
  • The font is Norman work and is unusual as it is made of chalk clunch in the shape of a cup. Only one other chalk font exists.
  • The stained glass windows are relatively modern.
  • The pulpit is Jacobean and made of oak.

From the west door you will see that the chancel is 'skewed' relative to the axis of the nave. This is a common feature of English churches and is thought to be an attempt to line the later building to face Jerusalem rather than due east as was the custom of the earlier nave builders.